Saturday, December 18, 2010

Snapping Caterpillar

 My wonderful husband went and bought me some snaps today to make my snapping caterpillar.  I've been wanting to make one for a little while now and finally got it done.  I got the idea from my friend's blog click here to get to it.  She did buttons and I had just done a project with buttons so I thought snaps might be fun.  Nattie (3) has a hard time doing this but her fingers will get stronger and stronger.  Mara (5) and Syssa (7) love to do it too. 
 My husband bought the snaps that you just hammer on.  They are called pearl snaps or something like that.  I cut out circle pieces from my felt.  I did them in two different sizes so maybe we can sort them into big and small and into colors as well, Nattie really likes doing that type of stuff.
If you want to try this I have a few suggestions.  I shattered some of the button tops, they are still useable and don't really effect the overall project, but to help prevent this there are some things that I did toward the end that helped.  I put a wooden cutting board down and then put about 5 pieces of felt on top to use as padding.  Then, when I hammered the buttons on I did it soft but many times instead of doing it really hard.  Yes, I know, I should've figured that out from the beginning. 

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. You did the same as me with the big and little colors. We think so much alike :)

    ReplyDelete